Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2015

A is for Achievement (and how to do it)

"Iucundi sunt acti labores", said Cicero, a Roman who lived some 2000 years ago.
(Sort of means: Done work feels good!)

In the age of smartphones and space travel, this still remains as true as it was back then.

Well, I brushed my teeth today. So? Other people are busy getting straight A's, writing bestsellers and making fortunes!

Wanna bet there were just as many people in Ancient Rome saying this to themselves then as there are now? However Mr. Cicero, who was quite a powerful man in his time, did not determine that only massively important, life-changing work "feels good", just done work. And yes, this includes brushing our teeth, getting dressed and a myriad other things most of us will take for granted today.

But how will that help me achieve anything?

Just as doing nothing begets nothing, so does doing a little something instinctively makes you want to do more.  But be careful. When that happens... do NOT start re-arranging the drawers in favor of making that uncomfortable but urgent phone-call. At the end of the day you'll have a really clean house but still won't feel good.

In fact, if you want to experience the same feeling that bestselling author is going to have today, just do that one thing you don't want to do but know you should. You'll feel like a million bucks even if you sit down and watch soaps for the rest of the day.

VoilĂ , achievement unlocked!


Jenny Matlock

10 comments:

  1. It's already hard work to get dressed and brush the teeth when you are retired, lol !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a housewife it felt like a huge accomplishment doing just that! :)

      Delete
  2. Some good thought provoking ideas.

    http://yaknowstuff.blogspot.com/2015/05/introducing-alphabe-thursday-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite true. After I achieve checking out a few more links at Alphabe Thursday, I shall brush my teeth and then take a shower. All this before lunch time. Ha!
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good advice! I like to have a clear mind and I do not like to feel poorly. We are painting inside and it has rained until I was sure we would have to build our own ark. I suppose on the upside it is good we are not painting outside. LOL! But still waiting on a new roof. You know they are hard to complete in pouring rain! Great post and I thanks for sharing. I wish you a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree wholeheartedly. I often tell myself that same thing to get myself to do those things I want to procrastinate over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray!

    I love this advice!

    I actually try to live my life by this advice!

    I tell my kids and grandkids...do the thing you are dreading most first and everything else will come easier!

    Thanks for sharing your amazing philosophy with us for the letter A.

    A+

    ReplyDelete

For some reason I cannot comment on some Wordpress blogs. Ironically this started when I registered a WP account for commenting. So if you have a WP Blog and I haven't returned your comment it's because I can't! Working on it.