Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Monday Reading 163

I'm still a little sad that I missed the start of NaNoWriMo and NaBloPoMo but I've been reading, A LOT. Here's a few books I'm currently reading now:

 Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office by Jen Lancaster

I like my fiction with a fair dose of realism. Better yet, reality with a dose of fiction, but that's something few authors can pull off, mostly because they're afraid of offending someone. Jen can and it works because she makes fun of herself first and foremost. This one makes the Shopaholic Series look like a 5th grader's story, why hasn't it been filmed yet?! I'll be looking out for the rest of her books.

Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert B. Cialdini 

This is a great book for those who want to know why they end up saying yes when they really want to say no. Apparently it's a common problem and not exclusively reserved to me. Who knew!

Also reading:

 A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins

It's one of these books that will never age. In the 70s, the US economy was about as bad as now. Peter, then a fresh divorced graduate, felt the country didn't have anything positive to offer anymore and that he would be better off migrating somewhere else. A janitor convinces him to check out America before he turns his back on it, which he does. The result is a very engaging, inspiring book that renews a person's love with the country and its people.


2 comments:

  1. I am reading Ken Follet's The Eye of the Needle. You introduced me to pretty good sounding books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruby, thanks for stopping by. I've read this book too, he's an excellent writer. :)

      Delete

For some reason I cannot comment on some Wordpress blogs. Ironically this started when I registered a WP account for commenting. So if you have a WP Blog and I haven't returned your comment it's because I can't! Working on it.