Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

New

image by Klaus Enrique Gerdes 

"I mean who spends $2000 for a jacket? The mind boggles."
No answer from Karen, just the sound of furious typing. Dani stared at her nails critically. Maybe she'd get a quick mani at LaShay's during lunch. Until then she could finish up that sales report or perhaps she would continue searching for a cute spring jacket on Ebay. Dani doubted the new assistant would notice.

A shrill yelp from the other room startled both women. Karen was there first. She turned on the light. All she could see was Monica hyperventilating. "Is everything ok?", she asked. Dani came in. "What's up?"

Monica pointed at a grotesque looking statue of fruit, flowers and vegetables with a trembling hand. "What on earth is that?!"

"I made it for the boss's birthday party tonight", said Dani in a slightly injured tone. "Why, what's wrong with it?"

This is a Mag & Trifecta post.

14 comments:

  1. Now that would be funny! I could imagine freaking out seeing something like that.

    My only issue with this is I have no idea who these people are and what roles they play. I'm not even sure what their positions are in this office. Is this something from a larger piece?

    visiting from Trifecta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie,

      it's not part of a larger piece and you're right, a lot of details are missing. My writing is hazy like that, I tend to let the reader fill in the blanks if they care.

      Delete
  2. Ha! I think I'd actually be pretty excited to see something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I've been seeing that picture around Blogland and I love your story about it.

    Nice writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great vignette! I love how the ending comes as a surprise & how it begins in medias res (in the middle of things).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one. My reaction would have been similar if not same :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey it's great to see a friendly face (Miss Jenny) and I totally agree with her, you style is a delightful vignette! I have to give that a try sometime too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the object of the writing prompt looks kind of scary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure if my previous attempts to post actually worked.

    I'm sorry if you'll get multiple posts from me - Google isn't cooperating at the moment.

    The fruit thing reminds me of Bert from Sesame Street. I must've watched too much of it growing up in the 80s :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking up this week. Funny story. I, too, think I'd be pretty amused to see the statue. Can I ask where you got the picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The image by Klaus Enrique Gerdes was a writing prompt by Magpie Tales.

      Delete
  10. I've been seeing that picture floating around as well. You did an great job writing about it! Visiting from Trifecta!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I'd flip out of Mr. Fruit man showed up. Hope the boss faints!!!

    ReplyDelete

For some reason I cannot comment on some Wordpress blogs. Ironically this started when I registered a WP account for commenting. So if you have a WP Blog and I haven't returned your comment it's because I can't! Working on it.