Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

D is for Disgusting


A couple of beers later, the two men were quietly puffing their cigars when the patrolman spoke up again.

"I've another one for you, Arbuckle", he said in a much lower voice. "But you can't print it."

Joe glanced at him sharply. "Why not?"

"Because it hasn't happened yet." O'Reilly was getting red-faced now. "You know Mrs. Barber don't you?"

The journalist smiled. "Of course I know Elaine", he took another deep puff. "She runs that confectionery store at St. Clair Street."

"Detective Carl is going to book her on Saturday for selling disgusting post cards."

"You're kidding me", Joe laughed. "Hasn't she been paying her dues?"

The patrolman shrugged. "It's election year. I guess they need something to show for it."


Jenny Matlock

6 comments:

  1. Seriously, that's what they called those back in the early 1900s. I think it's funny but then again I have a weird sense of humor. They probably wouldn't raise an eyebrow today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! :)

    Again, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I love the way you write. I especially adore the short stories! (I have a vivid imagination so it always gives me something to think about.)

    It's interesting how this may be a short story but similar things have happened and are happening in real life.

    Happy Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)

      I always liked the french 19th century literary love affair with realism. But, since I didn't live in those times, I have to imagine how it was and hope it gets close enough.

      Delete
  3. I really like this! It makes me want to go see the disgusting postcards... haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello.
    Thanks for the laughs. Really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing.

    Your Divine Secrets

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful post!

    This just made me chuckle!

    And I always appreciate a good laugh!

    Thanks for sharing,

    A+

    ReplyDelete

For some reason I cannot comment on some Wordpress blogs. Ironically this started when I registered a WP account for commenting. So if you have a WP Blog and I haven't returned your comment it's because I can't! Working on it.