Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Centus 111

The dowager was startled awake by a plop on the sofa. She reached for her monocle and peered closely at the unceremonious young woman who couldn't stop fanning herself.
"Enough dancing for tonight", declared the belle, "my feet are killing me."
"Is that you Miss Sophie?"
"Why yes it is, your Grace."
"Has it really been a decade since you've made your bow? Haven't you married that rascal Teddy yet?"
"Oh goodness no!"
"But he seems so devoted to you."
"Well you see, that's exactly it. I like having him devoted to me."

Jenny Matlock

9 comments:

  1. Classic and vintage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's an old joke. I considered retelling it in a modern way but I'm going through a vintage phase (...again), so I chose an old setting.

      Delete
  2. LOL, too funny. I never heard of this before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! :)

    The old setting always stirs my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oftentimes old jokes and old people are fun to revive...I enjoy your ability to tell a good story in just a few words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it -- I'm a big fan of Georgette Heyer so you hit one of my favorite types...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! I agree with gsb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this Cathy.

    What a neat take on this prompt!

    This felt like so much more than 100 words...a great little tale!

    ReplyDelete

For some reason I cannot comment on some Wordpress blogs. Ironically this started when I registered a WP account for commenting. So if you have a WP Blog and I haven't returned your comment it's because I can't! Working on it.