Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Centus 110

He took her wrinkled hand in his.

"But you could have had it all, Dorthy. All you had to do was ask."

"That wouldn't have been proper Jess. In sickness and in health, remember? I wasn't gonna leave a good man just because he couldn't work anymore."

"I shouldn't have gone to war", he repeated stubbornly.

"It's not like you had a choice in the matter."

"And...he's dead now?"

Dorthy pursed her lips. "Oh yes. Going five years now."

He looked at her hopefully. "Will you go to the dance with me tomorrow, Dorthy?"

She smiled. "Jess, what will the people say?"

"Darn the people."


Jenny Matlock

12 comments:

  1. Quite an epic in a few words! Go Dorthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done! It's hard to capture so much emotion in so few words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Short and sweet.

    I have to say, I love your style of writing. You are able to captivate your readers and provoke thoughts as well as emotions in a mere few sentences.

    I, on the other hand, end up writing a bloody essay almost all the time, haha.

    Well, I might have a good excuse though. (I might)

    I don't speak very much in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Now isn't that funny, I tend to be more of a talker in person...

      Delete
  4. oh, sweet. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really lovable piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope Dorthy's luck changes. She deserves it!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weird story, 'war is hell'. Nice 106 words, Cathy.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sweet story. A rekindled love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww it has been 5 years. She should go! Come on, give him a new chance.

    ~Naila Moon
    http://writing-out-of-the-blue.blogspot.com/2012/06/having-it-alla-story-106-words-only.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. What the heck, why not give it a go again?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my wow!

    This was awesome!

    This felt like a whole story...not 100 words! I really, really liked this!

    ReplyDelete

For some reason I cannot comment on some Wordpress blogs. Ironically this started when I registered a WP account for commenting. So if you have a WP Blog and I haven't returned your comment it's because I can't! Working on it.