Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Blue

Puddle, 1952, M. C. Escher
"So why are you here?"
The tired, prematurely gray-haired man looked at the floor for a few more minutes before answering.
"I don't know doc. I guess I've been feelin' blue. I know what I need to do but I've not much energy about nothing."
"You said you've been married a long time. Do you love your wife?"
The man clutched his hat and looked straight ahead. "Yes, doc. My family is the best thing that ever happened to me."
Doctor Wellis raised an eyebrow. Suddenly the silence became uncomfortable. The man began to squirm.
"Look", said the doctor."I could take your money, give you a tonic and send you on your way. But that wouldn't help you much would it?"
The man blushed. Finally he whispered. "No, doc."
"I can't help you out of your puddle if you won't be straight with me. Now tell me what you really want."
It took some time before the man could open his mouth. "I want to move back East. Back home. Build a hut somewhere lonesome, all by myself. Tend a garden." Suddenly his eyes watered. It took all his manly pride to keep those tears tucked in there.
Doctor Wellis continued to gaze the man unruffled. Then he started writing. The man received the prescription with only the slightest hint of a disappointment, until he read what was on the paper.
"Walk an hour a day?"
"Yes. If it gets too bad make it two hours. Come and see me in three months."

This is a Mag & Trifecta post.

20 comments:

  1. Cathartic and humorous :)

    I had to go see my high school counselor a few times. I didn't like it much because I felt like she wasn't helping. She would ask me what was bothering me and then her answer would be...

    'And how does that make you feel?' - Well, hey, Einsten, if something is bothering you, obviously, you're not happy, right?

    I wanted to take my shoe off and throw it at her. It would've worked better than spending an entire hour a week just to have her say : 'And how does that make you feel?' almost every single darn time. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'And how does that make you feel?'

      Well, duh... LOL

      Delete
  2. I like the image of him keeping the tears "tucked in there." The doctor seems like a sensible guy; I hope his surprise prescription helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope so too. After all, it helped Forrest Gump! :)

      Delete
  3. again you have captured a part of life in an excellent story...being in that age group I can testify that your story is based on real life...as we get older we dream of our "special heaven"...it's a sort of day dream that helps stave off the aches in our bones...you are wise in your knowledge of people...walking does help...possibly because that's a great place find your dream...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your feedback! Writing from another gender view is always fraught with danger and it's good to know I didn't botch it up too bad.

      Delete
  4. You wrote this beautifully, each word. Walking ~ does a body good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this has been my experience too. Walking tends to be very underrated yet very effective.

      Delete
  5. Gardening might not be a bad idea either...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Advice! Walking solves a lot of issues. Well written. :)

    Prose, Poetry and Photography

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear Cathy,
    You did a great job writing from the another gender. Walking is not only healthy but is also helps us to think and enjoy the beauty around us. Of course, it depends on where we are (smile). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! I really enjoyed reading this one. Perfect remedy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how objectively you wrote this, yet the very words created emotion and empathy for the man. we all want to escape at one time or other!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this story - it was believable and I felt like I was in the room with them. The doctor's prescription was great - personally, I'd rather take a walk than pill :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a nicely done write up. It touches something so vital for living - life itself. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great story! I loved the prescription--you captured a terrific moment. Wish more doctors were like him!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the dream of running off somewhere I could be alone too. Maybe I should take up walking. Thanks for linking up. We hope to see you back tomorrow for the new prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a good story, and it goes with the image. Forty years ago, my mother said she never understood people who killed themselves. She said that if they'd just decide to go outside and run around the block until they fell dead of a heart attack, they'd feel better before they fell dead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this prescription and use it too. I've dreamt of going off somewhere myself as well but it can't always be that way. I read a book years ago, might have been "Ladder Of Years", about a woman who just walked away one day.

    ReplyDelete

For some reason I cannot comment on some Wordpress blogs. Ironically this started when I registered a WP account for commenting. So if you have a WP Blog and I haven't returned your comment it's because I can't! Working on it.