Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Alley

"I have one for your paper, Arbuckle", said Patrolman O'Reilly.

The journalist perked up from his now empty glass of beer."You do?" He started patting the inside of his jacket for a notebook and pencil.

"I sure do. Found a man called Rasho Stefshonos beaten senseless in the alley near the market stalls. Three men snuck up on him, stole his money belt and his gold watch."

"How much did he have?", asked Joe looking considerably brighter now.

"Ninety three dollars."

Joe whistled. "Silly walking down that alley with so much money."

"He wanted to buy a horse", explained the patrolman. "He claimed that one of the trio was a countryman of his who heard him mention meeting the dealer."

Joe shook his head. "You can't be too careful in Toledo these days. So what did you do with Rasho?"

"Sent him with a hack to the Lagrange street station for tending. He wasn't fit to walk, for sure."

Joe nodded to the bartender. "Would you like another beer O'Reilly?"

This was a Trifecta post.

7 comments:

  1. I like the practical tones in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this too. It caught me at the start. Fun setting. I'll be careful if I ever get to Toledo. If it was rough then, it must be awful now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now we know why they say "Holy Toledo"! :)

      Delete
  3. He knows how to get a story, and it only cost a couple beers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up with Trifecta this week. I, too, really enjoyed the straightforward nature of your writing here. Your dialogue is great, too. Hope you'll come back and join us again soon.

    ReplyDelete

For some reason I cannot comment on some Wordpress blogs. Ironically this started when I registered a WP account for commenting. So if you have a WP Blog and I haven't returned your comment it's because I can't! Working on it.